Wednesday, April 14, 2010

What I've been up to...

Well...since nobody else posts, I figured I might as well update you to what has been going on at BYU lately...

MOAB!
This past weekend, our ward had a campout in Moab. We left on Friday afternoon and got back on Saturday night. IT WAS SO MUCH FUN! It was hot, and I got burnt/tanned!

This is Delicate Arch, the one on Utah's lisence plates and every post card in the state. It was so amazing and the view was fantastic! Steph and I got up on Saturday morning and ran a few miles and then we trail ran up to and back down from a few of the arches. It felt great, although we were a bit sore the next day!

There was this cool slope with really soft dirt, so we ran down it and jumped and tried several times to get a good picture...this is the best we could do. Lindsay, Steph and me.
Me, by our beautiful campsite.


Campsite!


Dairy Farm!

For my early childhood education class, we were discussing the differences between a theme, project, and unit. Then, we had to plan a unit and a project investigation. For our project, my group and I decided to do MILK: From Cow to Carton! We planned the ideas, lessons, fieldtrips, etc. Then, we had to do one of our activites. So, we woke up early and went and toured a dairy farm about a half hour away from Provo. This Diary farm supplies welfare square and the bishop's storehouses! It was SO much fun!

All the cows walked into the milking barn single file, get hooked up and milked - 3 times a day! Each cow produces about 10 gallons of milk every day. With 4,500 cows - this dairy is busy!



The calves were so cute! When we arrived, one was being born. We got to get out of the truck and watch it, but it was coming out wrong so the guy had to hook up a metal chain and a pulley system to get the calf out. He finally got it out, but it was stillborn. While the guy was helping the cow give birth and trying to get the calf out, my friend (from California) asked our (gorgeous, but married) tour guide if it hurts the cow. I couldn't believe she actually asked that, but he responded hilariously. He said, "no, she really likes it, it actually feels really good to her." She asked, "really?" We all yelled, NO! and then laughed really hard. It was so funny.


Festival of Colors

Every year, there is an Indian Hindu festival of colors, and we have always wanted to go. We were determined to make it this year. It is at this temple thing they have and we throw colored chalk on eachother. We got covered, as you can see. We decided to leave before the big throwing-of-chalk - I guess you couldn't even breathe. We had fun, although we don't really care to go back again. Oh, and Steph's hair got dyed pink from the chalk - we had to have her friend open her salon and scrub it with a bleach solution for 20 minutes!








Thanks for letting me share! Hope everyone is doing great!

4 comments:

Harrison's said...

Hey April, I loved the updates! I'm so glad you're doing so many fun things and making lots of memories. Good luck on finals. Can't wait to see you!

Harrison's said...

Hey what dairy farm was that? I think I worked there a couple of times when we were living in Springville.

Ryan and Melissa said...

Thanks for posting, April! I love the updates and pictures! Maybe mom toured that dairy farm when she was in college and that's where she learned some important facts! ;)

April said...

It is the Elberta Dairy Farm (project)! It is in Goshen or Elberta; they were both small towns right there and I am not sure which we were technically in. You worked there? Which of you and what did you do?